Thursday, April 1, 2010

The Potty is My Nemesis

Hey there, blogging world!

WARNING: This blog entry is mostly me just venting and also contains graphic descriptions. OK, I just talk about pee, but some people don't like to read about bodily functions, so I thought I'd warn ya!

So, on Tuesday March 30th I decided Ally would start potty training. She wore underwear, drank a lot, and spent a lot of time sitting on the potty. But the only time she went in the potty as opposed to on my carpet (!!!!) was when I saw her start to go and plopped her down on the potty chair in the living room, and let her finish peeing through her underwear!!! She earned a few M&Ms and a sticker on her chart. Part success is still success!! Even if there was more pee on her, the carpet, the towel I put down, a stray blanket, and my favorite jeans than in the potty.

Then she had another small accident 10 minutes later (when I was still cleaning up the first mess). Later, after her bath--as I'm taking 2 minutes to throw some wet clothes in the dryer--I hear her yell, "Mommy, I pee in my room!" And she had. Yuck.

Fast forward to Wed AM: "Mommy I no wear underwear. I wear diapers!!" She wasn't acting well, so I put her in a diaper. She'd been telling me since Tues before bed that her head hurt. She's never said that before, so I have no idea if she had a headache, earache, or her teeth were hurting her. Anyway, she was real cranky all morning and came down with a fever in the afternoon, 101.3. Tylenol helped, but it took a while. No better excuse to avoid the potty than come down with a fever, eh?

She's acting much better today, no more fever or complaints. So I'm *debating* whether I should try again tomorrow or just let her stay in diapers until I finish tutoring in May. She doesn't seem to have much bladder control. She still wakes up with wet diapers, and she only tells me after she's gone pee, whether it's in her diaper or underwear. I think her body might need a little more time to mature before she can sense and hold her pee more than 2 seconds. Any suggestions????

Oh, and I was going to attribute the fever to teething, except that Ally's doctor told me that's actually a myth. So I'm just going to be grateful for her health today and keep monitoring her.

BTW, no pictures of our first potty attempts. I think it may have traumatized us both for a while.

2 comments:

Queen Mother said...

OK. I've potty trained 3 kids now and think I know the ropes. LOL

It's happened pretty much the same way with all 3 of them. I'd try several times only to have to abandon it because it was apparent they weren't ready (very much the same as what you have described with Ally today.) Several false starts later, and suddenly one day they'd get up - all within a couple weeks of their third birthday - and want to do it. Their idea.

Then it was smooth sailing. Really no training required. Suddenly they'd have it down pat...the kicker? When THEY were ready. Not my timeline. But I don't regret the false starts and stops, either. I think that helped them realize what they were supposed to be doing, then when they were ready, it was easy.

Potty training is much more than just desire. It's about bladder maturity, too.

The weather is turning warmer. Let her run outside naked in the backyard. Sounds strange, but this will help her get a sense of the urges.

Queen Mother said...

(one more thing about maturity - I know several kids who potty trained very young but are now 6,7 years old and still wetting the bed! By waiting for them to be mature enough, I've managed to not have this happen. Nathan doesn't even wear a diaper to bed and hasn't for awhile, and he's only 3.)